Aging skin is visible changes in the skin due to a break down of its structure and elasticity over time.
These changes are due to a combination of two types of aging, intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic aging refers to the part of the aging process that is due to the actual passing of the years, wearing out of the body, and hereditary factors. Expression lines are a symptom of intrinsic aging. You can develop lines from consistent and repetitive facial movements. Any repetitive movement of a facial expression such as raising the eyebrows, frowning, smiling, scowling, or any other facial movement will eventually cause a fold to occur. Intrinsic factors are also responsible for the natural slowing of collagen and elastin, and thinning of the dermis and epidermis. The cell renewal process is reduced and the shedding of skin cells slows, leading to a build-up of dead surface cells and therefore a dull appearance. Extrinsic aging factors are the effect of outside influences on the skin’s health. Extrinsic aging factors are considered the preventable causes, generally responsible for up to 85% of the visible signs of skin aging. Sun exposure, unhealthy lifestyles, environmental pollutants and chronic inflammation contribute to a breakdown of the skin’s structure.
Common signs of skin aging are:
- Sagging/laxity-Shrinking of the bones and loss of fat tissue and collagen along with gravity contribute to skin laxity.
- Loss of elasticity-UV rays, free radicals and inflammation breaks down elastin
- Fine lines-Forms naturally over time as collagen production slows and skin hydration decreases.
- Thinning of skin-may be caused by a drop in estrogen levels during menopause and is also provoked by UV exposure.
- Dryness/dehydration-Naturally occurs over time as the skins ability for attracting and holding moisture such as hyaluronic acid, decrease. Time and sun exposure also lead to increased surface dryness.
- Increased transparency-A result of the natural and UV induced thinning of the skin. This transparency causes capillaries to become more visible leading to an increase in skin redness and visible vessels.
- Deep/abnormal wrinkling-Caused primarily by extrinsic factors. UV rays cause an accelerated breakdown of collagen. Smoking creates abnormal vertical lines around the mouth. Facial expressions such as frowning and smiling are responsible for deeper lines in the glabella, forehead, crow’s feet and around the mouth.
- Hyperpigmentation-Discoloration is a result of sun exposure, hormones and inflammation.
- Thickening of the epidermis-Occurs in certain cases of sun damage commonly referred to as an orange peel or leather-like appearance.
- Broken Capillaries-Become more visible as the skin thins and becomes more transparent with age. UV exposure causes dilation of capillaries along with a thinning of their walls making broken blood vessels more visible.
- Enlargement of pores-A result in a decrease of collagen caused by sun damage where pores appear larger as the support of collagen declines.
- Coarsening of skin-Caused by a build up of dead skin cells on the surface. Natural shedding of the skin decreases with time and with exposure to the elements.
We take several steps to effectively control aging skin with treatments that gently exfoliate, increase cell turnover and collagen production, inhibit discoloration and fade current pigment, and increase hydration. Most importantly we provide medical grade protection from sun exposure. As Medical Director of Skinology, Dr. Rocker administers all injections and is very proficient and talented with his advanced skills. Botox is effective on dynamic lines caused by overactive muscles and static lines in conjunction with a dermal filler to correct wrinkles and folds. Dermal fillers are excellent choices for adding structure and volume to aging skin for a natural look and reversing the signs of aging. IPL treatments are excellent for pigmentation and broken capillaries that are visible on the skins surface. Chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and microneedling treatments work well for exfoliating the surface build-up and helps stimulate the increase of elastin and collagen.
Solutions offered at Skinology for Aging Skin are:
- Dermal Fillers
- IPL treatments
- Series of Chemical Peels
- Series of Microdermabrasions
- Daily Care Regimes
We are a state-of-the-art facility, with a highly trained staff, that provides aesthetic treatments scientifically proven to achieve results with our comfortable home-like atmosphere. Our staff wants to build a relationship with each client and work together as a team to achieve their skin care goals. We achieve this through non-invasive and non-surgical treatments with little to no downtime.
110 Alafaya Woods Boulevard, Suite C, Oviedo, Florida 32765